Easy Recipe: Frozen Yogurt Breakfast Bars

We’ve all been told a million times how breakfast is the most important meal of the day, the one that literally fuels our body as we set off to tackle traffic, work, school or whatever else the morning throws at us. But in our rush to get out the door, it’s all too easy to skip what seems like a culinary inconvenience.

And here’s where this week’s recipe arrives to save the day. Cereal and yogurt are simple go-to’s when we’re running short on time and motivation, but they can get old fast. Enter the Frozen Yogurt Breakfast Bar. This was a staple in my wife’s family when she was growing up. With five kids to dress, feed and get out the door, any shortcuts were welcome and they swore by this one. If my wife’s memory serves, it was obtained decades ago from the side of a Grape-Nuts box.

This recipe only involves three ingredients: The cereal, yogurt, and frozen fruit. The yogurt and fruit are spread between layers of the crunchy, whole-grain cereal, and the entire casserole dish in which its lain is put in the freezer overnight. In the morning, you are treated to a delicious, nutritious breakfast that just happens to seem more like a dessert when cut into bars. Of course, these don’t have to just be for breakfast. With the kind of heat we’ve been experiencing, they make a fine frozen snack any time of day. Here’s how to make it happen.

FROZEN YOGURT BREAKFAST BARS

(Yield: 6-8 servings)

• 3 cups Grape-Nuts cereal, with some in reserve if needed
  • 32 ounces yogurt of your choice
  • 3 cups frozen fruit of your choice

Step 1: Grab a 2-quart casserole dish, such as a square 8-inch by 8-inch one, and coat the bottom completely with a layer of the cereal.

Step 2: In a bowl, mix the yogurt and fruit. Frozen fruit works great here for its convenience and lack of extra liquid.

Step 3: Gently spread the yogurt evenly over the cereal.

Step 4: Now cover the yogurt completely with the rest of the cereal, using extra if needed. Cover the dish loosely with foil and freeze overnight.

Congratulations: You’ve just made a healthy breakfast or snack for the following days to come. When ready to serve, let thaw for several minutes, cut into bars and serve (a fork makes eating this easier). Promptly re-freeze what’s left so it will again be ready when you are.

6 Comments »

1. Where to go, what to eat this weekend - Food Frenzy : The Orange County Register said,

October 5, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

[...] frozen yogurt breakfast bars are [...]

2. Bridget Gormly said,

October 9, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Sounded like such a good idea for something to grab and run, however, it was like concrete and could not be cut without a chain saw….back to the drawing board.

3. Ellen Whomsley said,

October 10, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

HI!

We made this. We were looking forward to it. I love
    grapenuts, yogurt and fruit. I thought, “This is a winner.”

Well, we are disappointed in it.

My husband wants to throw it out.

It just seems like there is toooooo much grapenuts.

What could we have done wrong?

We did not cover it with foil. Could that have made a difference? My husband said he did not crush the bottom grapenuts, could that have made it yukky?

The yogurt part is delicious.

I put some outside for the wild cats to eat and they did.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ellen

4. Matt Degen said,

October 14, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

@Bridget — This recipe can certainly get frozen stiff. Be sure to thaw it for a few to several minutes until you can get a knife through it.

@Ellen — If you felt there were too much of the cereal, you can always use less, especially to tailor it to your particular dish that you’re making it in. The foil is really only there to keep other smells from tainting this.

Hope it works out better next time for both of you if you try it again.

Happy eating,

-Matt

5. Jodi said,

October 15, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

I tried this last night and had the same problems as already stated here in previous comments. The recipe as written in the OC Register was missing the part about letting it thaw for a few minutes before trying to cut. Also the grape nuts and fruit amounts were too much. I used one cup of frozen blue berries and 2 cups of cereal which was still a lot of cereal.
    Since it was still frozen when I cut it (chopped it) I put a few frozen bars in separate dishes and put in the frig to defrost and to eat later today and tomorrow and put the still frozen part back in the freezer for a later date.
    Unless you are trying to preserve a portion for a later date I don’t see the point in freezing it since frozen it is like a block of ice and you have to wait for it to defrost anyway to eat. I had expected the frozen bar to be like store bought frozen yogurt which it wasn’t. You can do the same recipe without freezing and scope out with large spoon. It’s a good idea for a make ahead breakfast when you are pressed for time in the A.M.

6. Rhoda Friedman said,

November 2, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Well, I’m on board with the rest of the comments. How do you suggest we get the thing out of the pan and cut? My kitchen looks like an operating room trying to get at least a chunck out. Sounded good on paper but a true loser of a suggestion. However, I’ve never laughed so hard at this hour in my life. Thanks for starting my day on a bright but hungry note.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI